Nishmat's Women’s Health and HalachaIn memory of Chaya Mirel bat R' Avraham

  • Hebrew
  • English
  • Espnaol
  • Francais

Ovulating Before Immersion

A woman who suspects that she ovulates before she can immerse in the mikveh should consult with a halachic authority to make sure that she is immersing at the earliest opportunity. A range of halachic and medical approaches can treat confirmed cases of ovulation before immersion.

In general, women ovulate anywhere from twelve to sixteen days prior to their next menses. A woman’s best chance to conceive from relations is from three days prior to ovulation to within one day afterwards.

If, on a consistent basis, marital relations are prohibited within the window around ovulation during which conception is possible, pregnancy will not occur. The wife will not conceive even though the couple might not have a fertility problem from a purely medical perspective. This situation is sometimes called halachic or religious infertility, since it is unique to couples who observe the halachot of niddah.

Women with shorter cycles, or who spend longer times in niddah, have a higher chance of ovulating prior to mikveh immersion. As women get older, often in the mid-thirties, their cycle lengths tend to shorten. Ovulation before immersion is thus more common in older women, and may develop in those who previously had no problems conceiving.


A woman who suspects that she ovulates before she can immerse in the mikveh should consult with a halachic authority to make sure that she is immersing at the earliest opportunity.

Halachic Consultation

Good halachic advice frequently helps a woman reduce her time in niddah and get to mikveh earlier. Questionable hefsek taharah attempts or bedikot from the shivah neki’im should be brought for evaluation. The halachic authority should be aware of the woman’s difficulty conceiving, which is relevant in evaluating borderline cases. Keeping halacha more precisely can sometimes resolve the issue altogether.

Tracking Ovulation

At the same time, a woman can make efforts to pinpoint the timing of ovulation. Cycle lengths and ovulation timing may vary from cycle to cycle, so it is important to track ovulation for two to three months before drawing any conclusions. Women who have recently gone off hormonal contraception should keep in mind that effects may linger for a few months.

There are several ways to track ovulation, and methods can be combined to increase precision. The following methods can be performed at home with relative ease:

  • Tracking BBT: A woman’s temperature upon arising every morning, the basal body temperature (BBT), generally rises about 0.3 degrees Centigrade (0.5 degrees Fahrenheit) just prior to ovulation. A sustained rise in temperature indicates that ovulation has occurred. Since BBT only provides reliable information after the fertility window has passed, it is best used in conjunction with other methods.
  • Tracking vaginal discharge and cervical position: Cervical mucus often becomes clear around the time of ovulation, with a texture and appearance similar to egg white. The cervix at this time is less firm and higher up.
  • Ovulation Predictor Tests: These over-the-counter urine stick tests check for the surge in luteinizing hormone (LH) that precedes ovulation by 12-24 hours.
  • Other Methods: Women can also explore the use of electric fertility monitors or of saliva ferning scopes, to track changes in saliva during ovulation.


Following a first round of halachic consultation and tracking at home, a physician may order blood tests or ultrasounds to track ovulation more precisely:

  • Serial Bloodtests: Blood tests measure hormone levels on particular days of the cycle.
  • Serial Ultrasounds: Daily ultrasounds follow the development of the ovarian follicle and record ovulation directly.


The diagnostic process might also uncover underlying health conditions that may contribute to early ovulation or prolonged bleeding.


A range of halachic and medical approaches can treat confirmed cases of ovulation before immersion.

Halachic Approaches In many cases, a woman who ovulates early has a shorter duration of menses. The shiv’ah neki’im cannot be shortened or waived. However, a woman in this situation may receive halachic permission to shorten the waiting period between the onset of niddah and the shivah neki’im.

For women with longer duration of bleeding, there may be other halachic solutions, depending on the situation. Not every case, though, can be solved through halachic leniency.

Complementary Medicine A woman may choose to delegate some time to attempting complementary medicine techniques. Simple steps, such as changing one’s diet to include breakfast or reducing intake of sugar and refined flour, are good health practice in and of themselves. Bioflavonoids, alfalfa or other herbal supplements, taken with professional guidance, may make a difference as well.

Some women have reported shorter duration of bleeding to our site with use of menstrual training techniques or of the menstrual cup, which has a suction action. Other popular techniques include Chinese medicine, acupuncture, and therapy with essential oils.

Conventional Medicine A common approach among conventional medical treatments uses estrogen at the beginning of the cycle to delay ovulation by a few days. Other approaches use medications to shorten the duration of menstrual bleeding. If these approaches do not succeed or are otherwise contraindicated, a couple may choose to pursue alternatives such as assisted reproductive technologies, working together with a halachic authority and physician.

Yoatzot Halacha Medical treatment of any sort requires supervision by a physician. Yoatzot Halacha can assist with presenting halachic issues to health-care professionals and with helping women ensure they are reaching mikveh as soon as possible.

Nishmat’s Yoatzot Halacha Fertility Counselors provide free personal consultations to help couples address this or other fertility challenges.

Updated June 2020. We thank J.Rivkah Asoulin, an herbalist and holistic fertility consultant, for her comments and assistance with this article.

Users of Internet filtering services: This site discusses sensitive subjects that some services filter without visual indication. A page that appears 100% complete might actually be missing critical Jewish-law or medical information. To ensure that you view the pages accurately, ask the filtering service to whitelist all pages under

All health and health-related information contained within Nishmat's Women's Health & Halacha Web site is intended to be general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for consulting with your health care professional. The advice is intended to offer a basis for individuals to discuss their medical condition with their health care provider but not individual advice. Although every effort is made to ensure that the material within Nishmat's Women's Health & Halacha Web site is accurate and timely, it is provided for the convenience of the Web site user but should not be considered official. Advice for actual medical practice should be obtained from a licensed health care professional.